Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Freak in the Mirror

Sometimes the entire world can see something before you ever open your eyes and see it yourself. Sometimes even with your eyes open you are absolutely blind. I am able to convince the world that I am no different from them, I am able to blend in unnoticed, and I am treated no differently by my friends who know about my undercover life as a medical superhero than by those who only see my alter-ego. Yet when I look in the mirror all I see is a freak. I can not look past what I perceive to be huge imperfections to see the beautiful person that everyone else keeps telling me that I am, the person that I have become. Instead I see the freak that doesn't belong anywhere and that is different in all ways bad and no ways good. Self esteem issues....no, not much. But that freak in the mirror - she is no more the definition of me than an old photograph. It is an illusion, one that I have bought into for far too long. I may never see myself the way that those around me see me, but now when I see the freak in the mirror I am learning to just laugh at her instead of believe the things she tells me.

No comments: